Wednesday, July 17, 2013

What is the most moving wedding you celebrated



I noted a Post on Facebook from a wedding officiate in another state that was a series of questions about weddings and the officiate's response.  I found my responses were different so I decided to post the first questions and MY answers to this weeks's WedNewsDay blog and cover some of the others over the next few weeks..

What was the most moving wedding you celebrated?

I have done many moving weddings in the twenty years that I have been ordained.  To pin down one as the most moving is tough. I've had a few that have moved me equally.

I married a couple who had been high school sweethearts but had gone to separate colleges. They had drifted apart and married other people. Some time after the man had obtained a divorce he started thinking of his high school sweetheart. He had been prompted to think of her by hearing : I know You're Out There Somewhere by the Moody Blues.  He didn't know what her name was now or where she was living. He did some research and didn't find her. He refused to give up and hired a detective to find her.

It took him a little time to work up the courage to contact her. Finally he got up the nerve and called her on the phone.  As luck would have it, she just finalized her divorce that week.

Over time they built their relationship and about two years after they got back together in spirit and after many visits back and forth between the two cities they came to me to get married.

The Moody Blues were more than just the spark that got them back together, the group had been very popular and their favorite during the time they were dating in high school.

The Moody Blues were soon to be playing at what was then known as the Riverfront Amphitheater.  I contacted Riverfront and Moody Blues management and secured the right to perform the ceremony at the Moody Blues concert in St. Louis.  It was 100 degrees that Saturday and I was in a tuxedo.

I integrated Moody Blues references and lyrics into the ceremony and married the couple at the concert with 18,000 guests.

It was a very moving ceremony and day as we got to sit in great seats to watch the Moody Blues after the wedding sans the tuxedo.

No comments:

Post a Comment